MBA in Nepal: colleges, scope, eligibility, tuition fees
Master of Business Administration (MBA) is a well-covered and highly desired course that prepares students for a career in business, management, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
The popularity of doing an MBA in Nepal is increasing with each passing day due to a real-life-based curriculum, a multitude of specializations, applications, well-researched and facilitated departments, and affordable fee structures. Students can take specializations in several fields like accounting financial markets, marketing, entrepreneurship so as to fulfill their career aspirations.
Because of these reasons, an MBA degree in Nepal is sought after by national as well as foreign students. However, not many students are familiar with the context of an MBA in Nepal.
Read this article till the end to know about the most asked questions regarding MBA in Nepal like- who can study MBA in Nepal? How much does an MBA in Nepal cost? Which colleges in Nepal teach MBA and so on.
How is MBA in Nepal?
MBA degrees are pursued by students from different prior educational backgrounds. MBAs are taught in commendable infrastructures with advanced classrooms.
Gone are the days, when an MBA degree was about syllabus and books. Depending upon the colleges, you are provided ample opportunities for field visits, internship, and placements, training, and sessions from leading experts etcetera.
MBA not only prepares students for handsome jobs but also develops leadership and entrepreneurial qualities in them.
Types of MBA in Nepal
MBA is both a theoretical and practical course. It is a full-time course that develops business, leadership, and management skills for students.
Executive MBA (EMBA)
EMBA is more of a practical course targeting working people like executives, managers, and other professionals. This course is part-time and generally given a shot by people with experience.
EMBA classes are run on flexible time shifts like Saturdays, evenings etcetera. Purbanchal University, Pokhara University, and Kathmandu University offer EMBA in Nepal.
Who can study MBA in Nepal?
MBA degree is a competent degree that is pursued by students of all faculties and streams. MBA degree is revered all over the world since it prepares you for managerial and other high-ranking posts in banks, corporate, and private organizations.
Besides BBA students, students of B.E. (Bachelor’s in Engineering) and IT graduates are also seen pursuing MBA courses in Nepal.
While MBA courses are extremely expensive overseas, they are quite affordable in Nepal. Plus, the MBA degree earned from Nepal is acknowledged and acclaimed throughout the world.
If you are working in a certain organization and in need of a degree that expands your horizon of knowledge, MBA is the course for you.
If you are an IT graduate keen to learn about management, finance, and how business works, MBA is the right course for you.
Taking into consideration that the students might have other diurnal responsibilities, MBA classes in Nepal are also conducted in the evening. So, students with a busy diurnal schedule can also study MBA in Nepal.
Any bachelor’s degree coupled with an MBA is a good passage towards the main administrative goals of your dream organization.
To summarize in short, if you have maintained a certain academic report in your bachelor’s degree, you can study MBA in Nepal regardless of educational background.
Different universities offering Masters of Business Administration in Nepal
Different universities and colleges affiliated with those universities (TU, PU, KU, and so on ) provide MBA in Nepal. To be eligible for an MBA in Nepal, you have to pass a 3 or 4-year bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 45% and 2.0GPA.
MBA in Tribhuvan university
- Tribhuvan University (TU) is the utterly revered public university of Nepal. The duration of the MBA program at TU is 2 years divided into 4 semesters.
- The colleges that provide these programs are Tribhuvan University School of Management (SOMTU) located in Kathmandu, Lumbini Banijya Campus located in Butwal, and Kailali Multiple Campus located in Dhangadi.
- The MBA specialization offers are-
- General MBA
- MBA in Information Technology (MBA IT)
- MBA in global leadership and management
- Master of Business Administration in Entrepreneurship (MBA-E)
- MBA in banking and finance (MBA-BF)
MBA in Kathmandu University (KU)
- MBA in KU is a two-year-long course.
- Each year has 3 terms and each term encompasses 14 weeks.
- Kathmandu University School of Management (KUSOM) offers an MBA and EMBA program.
MBA in Purwanchal University
- 2 years (4 semesters) and 69 credit hours
- Offered by Purbanchal University School of Management (PUSOM), Kantipur International College, Himalayan Whitehouse International College: School of Management, Zenith International College, and Birgunj Public College. Additionally, there are other Purbanchal University-affiliated colleges providing MBA in Nepal.
MBA in Pokhara University
- 2 years divided into 6 trimesters and 66 credit hours.
- Offered by Uniglobe College, Apex College, Ace Institute of Management, Boston International College, Pokhara University School of Business, etcetera.
- Specializations are- MBA, MBA in global business, MBA finance.
- There are also MBA- job holders and MBA- evening classes.
- MBA-Evening is provided by Rajdhani Model College
MBA in Mid-Western University
- MBA-day is 2 years/4 semesters-long and MBA-evening is 2.5 years/5 semesters long.
- The programs are dependent on the mode of delivery: MBA and MBA-Evening.
- Offered by Mid-Western School of Management and Global College International (GCI).
- The specializations are MBA in finance, MBA in Marketing, and MBA in HR.
Other than these universities and their affiliated colleges, there are 13 International University affiliated colleges providing MBA in Nepal.
International MBA program in Nepal
- MBA in NAMI College affiliated with the University of Northampton (UK).
- Presidential Business School affiliated with Westcliff University (USA).
- King's College affiliated with Westcliff University (USA).
- International Center of Academics (ICA) affiliated with Indira Gandhi University (India).
- Himalayan College of Management affiliated with Infrastructure University Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia).
- Sunway International Business School affiliated with Infrastructure University Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia).
- CG Institute of Management affiliated with the Limkokwing University Of Creative Technology (Malaysia).
- Lord Buddha Education Foundation (LBEF) affiliated with the Asia Pacific University of Technology and Innovation (Malaysia )
- Islington College affiliated with London Metropolitan University (UK).
- Patan College of Professional Studies (PCPS) affiliated with the University of Bedfordshire (UK).
- Virinchi College affiliated with Asia e University (Malaysia).
- Phoenix College of Management affiliated with Lincoln University College (Malaysia).
- Texas College of Management and IT affiliated with Lincoln University College (Malaysia).
- IIMS college affiliated with Lincoln University College (Malaysia).
- Nepal Business College affiliated with Lincoln University College (Malaysia).
- The British College (TBC) affiliates with Leeds Beckett University (UK).
How to apply for an MBA in Nepal?
The application process of an MBA in Nepal differs depending upon the university. Generally, there are 2 intakes of MBA in Nepal: Spring and Autumn. However, the overall process requires-
The eligibility check
A minimum of 15 years of schooling including 12 years of schooling and at least 3 years of undergrad studies. On the academic front, you will have to achieve a minimum of 45% or a GPA of 2.0 in the bachelor’s exam.
Submitting the application form for the test
The application form can be online as well as physical. Each university has a certain application fee charge.
For instance, TU charges 1500 for a test application form. If you visit the website of the university you are targeting, you will find more information on this.
You will also have to present your Id information, nationality certificate, and academic documents.
Appearing on the entrance test
This might be conditional depending upon the university rules. However, if there is a test, it generally encompasses 3 sections: Verbal (English), Quantitative (Maths), and Analytical Writing.
There are other steps like Group Discussion (GD) and Individual Presentation (IP) in the universities to filter students.
Note: TU and KU-based MBA application processes require all these steps. These are not mandatory for all MBA courses in Nepal.
Appearing on the interview
If you make it through till now, you will have to appear in the interview.
Scope of MBA in Nepal and worldwide
Competent MBA graduates are in high demand not just in Nepal but also worldwide. Since MBA encompasses curriculums like Marketing, International Business, Supply Chain, Information Technology, Finance, Banking, Entrepreneurship, Hospitality, and Tourism, the MBA pass-outs are likely to find job scopes and opportunities in all these fields.
Starting salary of an MBA in Nepal is quite decent at about NPR 4 lakh per annum. With the increase in experience and expertise, the salary of an MBA in Nepal per month reaches up to NPR 1.5 Lakh per month and more.
Additionally, MBA holders have the highest-paying jobs in Nepal.
Some popular and highly sought after careers for MBA degree holders are:
- Chief Executive Officer
- Marketing Manager/Head
- Project Manager
- Product/Programme Manager
- Chief Technology Officer
- Department Head
- Finance Manager
- Investment Banker
- Informational Technology Director
Additionally, you can also try to pursue a career abroad after completing your MBA in Nepal.
Fee structure of MBA in Nepal
Even though it costs a bit higher than other master’s degree courses in Nepal, MBA is still very affordable compared to other countries.
The free structure depends upon the universities. Generally, it costs NPR 3 lakhs to 6 lakhs per year to pursue MBA in the colleges and universities that are affiliated within Nepal.
Within Nepal, the MBA from KU costs higher than MBA from other government colleges.
The colleges affiliated with foreign universities cost comparatively higher with NPR 7 lakh to 10 lakh per year.
The fees are higher for international students. For international students from SAARC countries, an MBA is 1.5 times more costly. For other foreign students (other than SAARC), it is twice as costly.